Now that the NFL season is officially over, I guess I have to turn my attention to other sports. I’ll be honest with you, other sports do not entrance me the way football does, but I do pay attention to headlines and major happenings for the most part. So I’ve decided to do a weekly Notes Blog wherein I discuss the major sports happenings of the week. It will be football, baseball, tennis, hockey, basketball, whatever strikes my fancy. Without further ado, let’s hit it!
- Today is national signing day for the college recruits. Well, most of them, for some reason some of them don’t commit today and commit several weeks from now. So why have a deadline? I really don’t get that. Anyway, today us college football lovers get excited about all of these random people we never heard of before and get depressed over missing out on other top recruits. I hope on espn.com and seminoles.com to find out what my Noles are doing and where they’re rated and who we’ve got and who we might get. I get rather obsessive about it and refresh every half hour or so. And today I ask myself why? I don’t know these kids. I don’t know anything about them other than somebody slammed 5 stars next to this guy and only 3 next to that guy. Doesn’t really mean they’ll kick butt on the field, I’ve seen many of the top recruits flame out over the years. But still, I care, and I get excited! Go Noles! We did land the top DT in the nation apparently, which pleases me, as well as high rated cornerbacks and safeties and a kicker. All positions of major need so I’m content. So, hope you’re having a blast college football gurus, may your school land those top recruits and may everybody decommit from USC and UF just because I hate them.
- So everybody’s all up in arms about this Michael Phelps marijuana smoking picture. Some of the morons in the media blasted him for letting his picture get taken. Hello, I don’t believe he knew it was. Also, he is a 23 year old and he will do the occasional stupid thing. That’s what happens in the early 20’s. He admitted it, which was pretty stand up of him, because I saw the picture and it really didn’t even look that much like him. I’d have gone with the lie personally, but then I happen to be an accomplished and awesome liar. Now apparently the police are thinking of charging him. Can you charge someone for a picture? I mean, you may as well hit myspace right now and get your warrants ready. What a bunch of bull. Leave him alone, lesson learned, moving on, get in the pool and win some more gold medals in 4 years. Thanks, buh bye.
- Apparently indictment records against Bonds were released this week and lo and behold, he tested positive for steroids. This is GROUND BREAKING NEWS. I was not aware of this information!!!! I mean, I know he doubled his size right in front of our very eyes a couple years ago, but I assumed it was natural. He was probably hitting Taco Bell and McDonald’s every night. I can grow to twice my size very easily when I do that and I’m not on the roids! Truly, I am sick of this story. Get a trial going or don’t, I really don’t care anymore. I am tired of Barroid and want him gone. It doesn’t matter if he goes to jail or just goes home and counts his money and throws baseballs at passers by from his bedroom window. Just go away!
- Roger Clemens, the same goes to you. We know you did roids, you know you did roids, why are we all still talking about it? Government, put up or shut up. We’ll see if the vengeful media punishes Roger and Barry or if they usher them into the hall of fame with their not very valid we don’t know when he used argument. If you’re going to keep Big Mac and Palmiero and others out, you keep those two out too. Period.
- Kobe broke the scoring record at Madison Square Gardens the other night, got 61 there I guess. That’s cool I suppose, not as cool as the 81 he got a couple of years ago. It appears that nobody will ever beat Wilt’s record which is a shame, I live to watch records fall and I would actually tune in to a basketball game if there’s a possible scoring record on the line.
- What was going on in Pittsburgh on Tuesday? I’ve seen some clips of the Super Bowl celebration party and that was the quietest damn crowd I’ve ever seen. What, #6 is just passe now? Ramp up the celebration, peeps! Bring the energy, it’s cold out there so you should be yelling and whooping it up! Perhaps William Gay’s retarded rap song stunned them all into silence. I could understand that. The record execs will not be knocking down your door Willie.
- Manny Ramirez remains unsigned and the Dodgers are getting a little bit tired of him turning down their rather large contract offers. Albert Pujols of my St. Louis Cardinals is pushing for my spendthrift owners to get off their butts and bring him there. At first I was horrified by this idea but then I thought of the beauty of having and Albert/Manny combo at 3/4 and I decided I could suck it up and deal with the Manny drama. Do it! Do it now, Cards! It’s not like you’ve bothered to do anything to improve the team this off season, so there should be some cash lying around for Manny. Albert with keep him reigned in, I have faith in that!
- I guess there was some epic tennis this past weekend. Can’t say that I watched, but Federer/Nadal round 2938293 or whatever it was was a long battle that drained them both. Nadal came out the victor and Federer had a heartfelt teary speech. Nadal came back with his own honoring Federer. Awesome display of sportsmanship. Serena won again as well, go Williams Sisters. I don’t follow the sport but I do follow them and I love that she’s still winning at an age when most tennis chicks are retiring.
- The Cardinals offensive coordinator is interviewing for the KC job. He and Pioli have a history together so that’s a pretty good possibility. If he goes that will probably be good for the Cards when it comes to retaining Boldin, but who can say what it means for Warner? Haley’s done a great job with that offense and deserves another head coaching job.
- I didn’t do a Super Bowl commentary, by the time I thought about it I was immersed in Heroes blogging and Days drama and Idol in Hollywood, so the opportunity slipped past me. But I will say that was the best Super Bowl I’ve ever seen. I know it was quiet in the 3rd quarter but since I knew that AZ could score quickly I remained riveted. Worked out well all in all. My heart was broken for the Cards, that had to have been a major gut punch to lose; but the football fan in me was thrilled with the last minute TD by Santonio Holmes. Gorgeous play, fantastic game.
- There should have been a longer review of the Warner fumble at the end of the game. I hate to have a game that good end somewhat questionably. No matter where you fell on was it or wasn’t it, you have to agree it should have gotten more than cursory glance in the booth. I would have loved to see Warner get a shot at the end zone with Fitz and Boldin waiting.
So those are the big things on my mind this week. I hope you liked this format, I’ll be happy to stick with it if people like it. If it seems like I’m just talking to myself I’ll call it quits, because I talk to myself all the time and I could save myself some future carpal tunnel treatment if ya’ll don’t like it. Let me know!